Bariatric power wheelchairs are best alternate and more life-enriching options for larger people with limited mobility. These power chairs are safe and secure to support riders weighing up to 600 pounds. Thus, allowing larger individuals to regain some amount of independence and increased comfort in their day-to-day activities. Hoveround is one of the most popular manufacturers of electric Bariatric Power wheelchairs. This article gives you a close look on Hoveround Teknique XHD.
Hoveround Teknique XHD bariatric powered wheelchair can hold up to a 450-pound weight. It has a wider seat for comfort, 60 amp batteries and tandem rear tires for increased traction. It features a 28” turning radius, and max speed of 5 mph, making it one of the most powerful chairs on the market today. The Teknique XHD also has a 3.7” ground clearance, which means maneuvering over small obstacles is easy. In addition, the optional recline seat upgrade offers a higher seat back and adjustable recline provides additional comfort and support.
The Hoveround Teknique XHD has the following features
- Portability – It is a heavy-duty wheelchair which requires a car lift to transport. People with reasonable upper body strength are also unable to lift it without the support of a car lift.
- Storage – This chair is not foldable, so it cannot be stored in a car/ SUV trunk. However, you can fit it in the corner of a room.
- Durability – It has a durable construction and weighs 273 pounds (123.8 kilograms). This is a tough chair to support passengers weighing up to 450 pounds (204.1 kilograms).
- Device Weight – It weighs 273 pounds (123.8 kilograms) along with the battery. Its base weight is 114 pounds (51.7 kilograms) and batteries weigh 108 pounds (49 kilograms). And let’s consider that the seat is yet another heavy weighting item for around 51 pounds (23.1 kilograms).
- Seat Size – It comes with an adjustable seat, from 22 to 24 inches (55.9 to 61 centimeters) in width. And its length may be between 18 and 20 inches (45.7 and 50.8 centimeters).
- Incline/Declines – The max incline rating is unknown, therefore, based on other similar models it is possible this model Incline/Declines has 6 degrees.
- Battery – On an average, its battery will last for about 15 to 20 miles (24.1 to 32 kilometers) of continuous use per battery charge plus other factors like depending on user weight, terrain, battery condition and more. However, the manufacturer does not state how long it takes for the battery to charge from empty to full.
- Setup – The setup varies depending on where you purchase the product from. It may come pre-assembled or not. But most times some assembly is required and a toolkit may need.
- Usability – This wheelchair accomplishes most indoor mobility requirements. However, some doorways and hallways may be small to fit through because of its size and turn radius. It is best to simple outdoor locations such as paved sidewalks & flat surfaces. Limit usage on terrain surfaces as it can roll on.
Other Features includes
- This is a durable, heavy-duty constructed wheelchair for bariatric users
- It includes an adjustable seatback for ease and a seat belt for safety
- It features adjustable armrests for comfort and proper upper body support
- Its custom-contoured wide seat offers maximum riding support and comfort
- It has a removable seat, flip-up footrest and anti-tip wheels
- Hoveround Teknique XHD features brake release levers, dual motor drive, joystick controller and seat height and position adjustment.
- It comes with a lightweight portable charger for recharging power chair batteries anywhere
- Hoveround Teknique XHD has an oversized footplate base
- It comes with one year warranty period
The specifications of Hoveround Teknique XHD are
- 450-pound maximum weight capacity to fully support larger body frames
- 15 – 20 miles battery range for hours of extended use
- 5 miles per hour(8 kilometers per hour) maximum speed for transportation which is faster than walking
- 28” (71.1 centimeters) turning radius
- 3.7″ ground clearance for you to maneuver over small obstacles
- 1.5” maximum step climb for you can easily over small bumps or floor raises
- 45” length & 27.5” overall width dimensions allow you to move in and out of small spaces. Its height is unknown as cannot be folded.
- Adjustable seat, from 22 to 24 inches
- Tire pressure 45 to 50 psi
- It uses two (2) Group 34 long-lasting batteries
- Total overall weight including batteries – 273 lbs.
The base frame of Hoveround Teknique XHD, a bariatric power wheelchair comes with a warranty for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase and all remaining components (excluding all upholstery, tires, tubes, foot mats, body plastic, and batteries) to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase. Its batteries have a warranty for a period of six (6) months from the date of purchase.
You will find mixed customer reviews for Hoveround Teknique XHD wheelchair. Most of the users opine that it is well-built, user-friendly and durable wheelchair which does its intended job perfectly. However, some people complain about its size, speed, weight and cost. Some even mention that the battery could last a bit longer.
Edd says it is a very good product and has been a lifesaver to him. It has helped him keep his job after serious kidney failure.
Verl says this wheelchair makes it very easy to maneuver in and out of the van. It has comfortable seating and long battery life. Though, he wishes to have a seat bit higher for leg comfort.
Chris appreciates the wheelchair performance and its warranty period.
Jerry says it a real heavy duty chair, which will rarely need a repair and has the best warranty. However, if you need repair they are right there for you. They have all the parts on the van to make the repair right at your home. It’s loud noisy motor disappoints him.
Sherry complains a lot about her chair. She says the seat depth is too shallow which is difficult to customize. Its rear wheel casters wear out quickly. Lastly, she just went 5 lbs. over the weight limit and the chair broke down.
The Hoveround Teknique XHD provides the topmost comfort without sacrificing performance. With its fantastic features, warranty, and customer reviews, this product should be your first choice for a bariatric power wheelchair.