The pet name for the cat anemia caused by fleas in cats is ‘flea anemia’. It is resulted as a result of excessive blood loss due to flea infestation. This condition mostly affects the young kittens and older cats. The infested fleas will draw blood from the cat to survive. When the infestation is not treated promptly it helps the flea to grow faster and more.
Flea anemia is a condition that is seen in unhygienic conditions. This is identified with the symptoms of anemia like weight loss, loss of appetite, restlessness, lethargy, rapid heart rate; over sleepiness, etc. the cat would also show severe itching and biting its body.
Cats that have weaker immune system get the receiving end. The young kittens, elderly cats and the kitties that are recovering from any diseases are more at the risk. This coupled with unhygienic conditions favors flea infection and non-treatment makes thing worse.
Home remedies for flea anemia
1. Eliminate fleas: The first step is to eliminate the fleas. It prevents further blood loss. Use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar to get rid of fleas. The apple cider vinegar also has antibacterial properties to reduce the infections. Clean the cats, its accessories and also every nook and corner of the home or area to ensure that fleas are eliminated. Vinegar can be used for all these.
2. Meat protein: The next step is to reinstate the lost blood. It requires iron. Since the cats can easily absorb the iron form the food and process is faster. This step is easier. Feed them some good meat protein. The iron content in meat is all that the cats needed. Beef liver is an excellent source for protein and iron. Beef liver also contains the necessary vitamins that are needed for the production of red blood cells.
3. Sea kelp and Green vegetables: Both sea kelp and green vegetables like spinach, green beans, and broccoli are good source of many nutrients. Make puree of these and add with the regular cat food.
4. Dietary supplements: Sometimes the cats need addition nutrition from the supplements. Get them supplements that can provide iron, vitamin B12, copper etc. Brewer’s yeast is another good source for the necessary nutrients, especially vit B12, to compensate the lost blood. It also helps improve the immune system.
5. Flea control treatment at home: Flea eggs can stay virile for a year. A long term flea control and prevention is necessary in these cases. Thoroughly clean the home and of necessary get professional help for the task. Also gets some flea preventing items like collar and other items for the cats to stay protected against re-infestation.
Care while taking alternative remedies
The home remedies should not be given all at once. The recovery took sits time. Try only one remedy at a time and see it for a few days. If there is no improvement even after 5-7 days, change the remedy and once again monitor the changes. Do not try these home remedies for severe cases of flea anemia. The cat might need a blood transfusion. In this case, use these remedies for the recovery period.