Hairmax – Faster hair growth with Laser technology
Hairmax offers their customers a complete line of hair products which include shampoos, scalp treatments, conditioners, laser combs, keratin fibers, and its related accessories. This is our Hairmax Review.
Hairmax is a baby of Lexington Int., LLC, a company based in Boca Raton, Florida. Among the many hair care products they offer, the most popular one is the laser comb devices. These laser comb devices come with low-level laser therapy (LLLT) that provides light energy to the hair follicles.
The manufacturer claims that regular use of this laser comb will “revitalize and enliven” the follicles thus promoting hair growth. It also has the ability to reverse the thinning process. This process is called photobiostimulation that is quite similar to the process of photosynthesis in plants.
The main selling point of hairmax lasercombs is that it has been cleared by the FDA. The product also has undergone several clinical studies to prove its efficiency in stimulating hair growth.
Why is FDA approval is a big deal to many?
The Food and Drug Administration is a regulatory authority who has the sole responsibility to protect the consumers from dangerous products and marketing gimmicks. They monitor matters such as food safety laws and dietary supplements. The testing process is quite rigorous which is hard to beat. Companies who need FDA approval must submit the part and if successful will receive FDA approval.
How does Hairmax really work?
Just browse through the hairmax website and you will notice that the company offers many hair care products. We will take a peak into their shampoos and supplements in a few minutes but before that let’s take a look at their popular device – laser combs.
As mentioned above, the hairmax laser combs come with many tiny laser diodes that deliver low levels of laser energy to stimulate hair follicles. As a result, it increases the amount of oxygen, blood circulation, and other nutrients present in the scalp.
In turn, it energizes the dormant follicles from their catagen and telogen phases. This leads to denser, stronger, and fuller looking hair.
Are these low levels of laser therapy effective?
Low levels of laser therapy have been tested for many years specifically related to hair loss. Though much of the studies were conducted within the medical community, there are many authoritative websites and medical practitioners who say that clinical proof of its efficacy is still mixed.
The best part remains that this technology is very much considered safe.
But that’s for LLLT devices in general. What about Hairmax? Which brings us back to the same question.
Well, the hairmax website has apparently conducted six clinical studies that show that regular use of laser combs results in significant hair growth, an increase in the density (an average of 149 hairs per square inch), decreased hair loss, able to manage them easily and even reverse the thinning process.
So does that mean Hairmax lasercombs are FDA approved?
Nope. The company clearly states that the devices are FDA cleared which simply indicates that –
- Hairmax submitted a 510(ki) premarket notification to the FDA (along with the studies conducted by them) &
- FDA found it to be “substantially equivalent” to the device that is already legally marketed for similar use thus giving the green flag. (https://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/Transparency/Basics/ucm194460.htm)
Hairmax Lasercomb products
Currently, there are five different lasercombs by Hairmax.
Hairmax Laserband 82 Bundle
This Pininfarina-designed laser device comes with 82 medical grade lasers that offer you maximum light energy to the hair follicles. It also comes with a patented hair parting teeth that allows the laser to penetrate even more freely into the follicles. This helps in achieving optimum results. With Laserband 82, all you need is to spare as little as 90 seconds thrice a week.
This complete hair care bundle comes with shampoo, conditioner, revitalizer, and supplements. You will also find necessary accessories such as a rechargeable battery, power cord, and a quick reference guide.
Hairmax Laserband 41
This new Flex-FIT Laserband 41 is known for its speed, effectiveness, and comfort. A true breeze to use, you will find 41 lasers (no LEDs) that stimulate the hair follicles at the cellular level. This promotes excellent hair growth, restores the hair’s natural growth cycle and give you denser, fuller hair.
A lightweight and portable product, it is an ideal device for travel while allowing freedom of movement while in use.
Hairmax Ultima 12 Lasercomb Bundle
Compared to the 82 model, this one looks like a hair comb. With less surface area, it comes with 12 medical-grade lasers (No LEDs) that revitalize the hair follicles and nourish it back to health. This stimulates growth factors and reverses the thinning process.
Use Ultima 12 three times a week for 8 minutes per session. As per the company claims, you will start notice denser, fuller, and healthier looking hair.
It’s currently available in a bundle pack. So it includes a rechargeable battery, power cord, user manual, shampoo, conditioner, revitalizer, and supplements.
Prima 7 Lasercomb
The best-seller among all, Prima 7 Lasercomb device comes with therapeutic light energy that is infused in the 7 medical-grade lasers (No LEDs). Resembling an actual comb, this laser light nourishes the hair follicles to stimulate hair growth. You will find patented teeth that parts the teeth for maximum absorption of the energy to the scalp and hair follicles.
Use Prima & LaserComb for just 15 minutes three days a week and notice the difference.
The kit includes shampoo, conditioner, revitalizer, and dietary supplements. You will also find a power cord, adapter, rechargeable battery, and a quick startup guide.
Ultima 9 Lasercomb Bundle
This FDA cleared device for men and women comes with 9 laser diodes that stimulate the growth factors of your hair. The company claims that it can help in reversing the thinning process and restore natural hair when used religiously.
All you need is to spend 11 minutes three days a week. Use it while watching television or while reading a book. It’s that simple.
With every Ultima 9 Lasercomb, you will get thinning hair care bundle absolutely FREE!!! This includes shampoo, conditioner, revitalizer, and dietary supplements.
The lasercomb kit includes a power cord, rechargeable battery, and a quick start guide along with the above.
What’s the difference between these lasercombs?
Apart from the price, what’s the real difference between each hairmax lasercomb?
For starters, each device comes with the same type of laser diodes but the number of diodes varies as per the model. This means more diodes included in the lasercomb which will give you more coverage and experience thus reducing the amount of time spent per session.
Hairmax laser devices can treat Androgenetic Alopecia, and promote hair growth in men who have Norwood Hamilton Classifications of IIa to V and women who are having Ludwig (Savin) I-4, II-1, II-2, or frontal patterns of hair loss, and both who have Fitzpatrick Skin Types I to IV.
It is always a good idea to speak with your doctor if you notice receding hair or notice any baldness. Though hairmax has worked on women with darker skin tones successfully, it is always suggested to consult your physician or contact the customer support of hairmax for any queries in your mind.
Other Hairmax Hair loss products
A leave in serum spray, this follicle booster contains unique peptide complex that efficiently works on thinning hair. It contains a proprietary blend of nutrients, antioxidants and DHT blockers that nourish the scalp and give you naturally stronger, denser looking hair.
Key Ingredients include – Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Tea Tree Leaf Extract, Centella Asiatica Leaf Extract, Niacinamide, Algae Extract, Peppermint Oil etc.
This gentle shampoo cleanses the hair without the harsh effects of sulfates that rob your hair from vital essential oils. A lower pH option, it gently exfoliates the scalp and removes sebum buildupthat leads to excess oil on hair. It also fights free radicals and styling products that can be harsh on the scalp.
It is a paraben-free, sulfate-free, and gluten-free product.
Key ingredients include Peppermint Oil, Tea Tree Leaf Extract, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract, Capsicum Frutescens Extract, Algae Extract, Centella Asiatica Leaf Extract, Thermus Thermophilus Ferment etc.
Exfoliate your scalp and get rid of excess sebum, perspiration, and other pollutants that not only clog the hair follicles but also prevent hair growth. This invigorating blend of menthol and peppermint oil will leave your hair tingling with refreshment. Revitalize your hair with this Density Revitalizer that restores the nutrients and helps with maximum blood and oxygen flow.
Apply it once a week after shampooing and notice the results.
Active ingredients are Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, PPG-26-Buteth -26, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Cetrimonium Dimethicone PEG-8, Phytic Acid, Menthol, Menthyl Lactate etc.
Dry, flaky looking hair screams unhealthy. It is also easily susceptible to breakage, split ends etc. Get rich, bouncy hair with this botanically infused conditioner that hydrates each and every strand of hair. It helps in retaining the moisture that is balancing the pH level so that the hair looks healthy, bouncy and much fuller. A powerful combination of Argan oil, Vitamin E, plant extracts and nutrients, this conditioner restores the vitality and gives you silky and much more manageable hair.
Ingredients are Water, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Glycerin, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol, Panthenol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Sodium PCA, Fragrance, Methylisothiazolinone, Polyurethane – 34, Citric Acid, Menthol, and Methylchloroisothiazolinone.
These hair building fibers are made from keratin protein that clings to your existing hair and adds a dramatic volume and density thus giving it a natural look. The best part is they can be easily washed out with shampoo.
Whether you will achieve the natural look largely depends on the extent of your baldness and the application method.
Hairmax Dietary Supplements
The complete hair, skin, and nail formula is here. This dietary supplement is formulated using all-natural ingredients that have been clinically proven to strengthen nails, hair while giving you healthy looking skin.
While Biotin helps in producing keratin that is necessary to maintain hair elasticity and hair health, Niacin improves blood circulation to the hair bulb. Ingredients such as Saw Palmetto and Beta Sitosterol are natural DHT blockers while MSM (sulfur) helps you maintain healthy collagen and keratin crucial for hair growth.
This dietary supplement is free from artificial colors or flavors, preservatives, sugar, gluten, wheat, yeast, shellfish, sodium etc. However, it does contain milk and soy so if you are a true vegan, this might not be for you. It is suitable for vegetarians though as it does not contain any animal-derived ingredients.
Ingredients are –
- Niacin 17.5mg
- Vitamin B6 10mg
- Folate 500mcg
- Biotin 2,500mcg
- Pantothenic Acid 3mg
- Iodine 5mcg
- Zinc 10mg
- Selenium 5mcg
- Manganese 2mg
- Saw Palmetto Extract 80mg
- L-Cysteine 150mg
- DHA Concentrate 150mg
- MSM 300mg
- Hyaluronic Acid 50mg
- Citrus Bioflavonoids 25mg
- Resveratrol 98% 1mg
- Inositol 25mg
- Plant Sterols 240mg
- Stinging Nettle Extract 60mg
- He Shou Wu Extract 50mg
One bottle comes with 60 capsules that will last up to 30 days giving that the dosage is 2 capsules a day.
If you are pregnant or nursing, consult your doctor before using this product. If you are under any medical condition, it is necessary to get a green flag from your medical practitioner before having this product.
Are there any side effects?
Possible side effects include mild digestive upset or temporary flushing due to niacin. Also taking lower doses of selenium for a prolonged period can increase the risk of developing diabetes. In rare circumstances, MSM can cause insomnia, itching or can worsen the symptoms.
However, NOTE that these are only the possible side effects and no one has actually reported reactions post usage of this product.
On the contrary, many reviews/testimonials available say that the product is very much healthy and comes with the right dose to benefit overall health.
Are there any reviews for these products?
There are many hairmax reviews available on the internet. Check out the Hairmax review here from actual users.
Dietary Supplement Reviews
- “Seems to help with hair and definitely helps my skin. My wife comments how soft my skin is.”
- “Well-packaged product. The Pills are easy to swallow. Some pills can give you gas or bad breath but that’s not the case with these vitamins.”
- “Good dietary supplement. I am very happy with the results.”
Lasercomb Professional 12 reviews
It has received 3.1 out of 5 stars from users. The responses are mixed. While many users are happy, few are disappointed.
- “The battery died very quickly and leaked acid into the charging port. I don’t know if it would work on hair loss as the device didn’t last full 6 months and as per the manufacturer claims you are supposed to use it for 6 months to see results. It is not well put for the amount of money that one has to pay.”
- “I cannot believe why people are crucifying this product. It works wonderfully if you have a proper plan and actually take hair growth seriously. The laser comb is promising if you take the time and have the knowledge to use it correctly. It is not a miracle product. It works in a combination with supplements and shampoo. Do your research. The supplement is not cheap and is the best. You can actually see the results.”
- “No new hairs but yes less hair loss.”
Ultima 12 Laser comb reviews
There are only a few reviews available on the internet for this product. A general consensus loves the product. But there are few disgruntled customers who claim that the product does not work as intended. The customer service too is quite poor and does not offer proper guidance to the customers.
- “I really wanted this product to work for me but I was very much disappointed. After a few months of use, I didn’t see any progress whatsoever. It is also very much annoying to use.”
- “This new cradle is absolutely unstable. It is nice looking but certainly not user-friendly. You have to be careful while using it. The laser comb won’t restore your hair unless you have had any previous hair loss treatments. I personally don’t see any difference. Another con side is you are forced to buy the whole bundle instead of this single product. The customer support is bad as I called them on how to remove the beep and put it on vibrate mode only. There has been no response.”
- “Love this product. Absolute a breeze to use and it works amazingly on my hair. Recommended to anyone who is experiencing hair loss.”
Hairmax Laser band 82 reviews
This product has received 3.9 out of 5 stars on Amazon. Reviews are majoritively positive with few grumblings available. While a general consensus is happy with the results, few claim that the price is too expensive.
- “The laserband is terribly overpriced. You can get a full head unit at Amazon for less money. The plastic teeth are supposed to part my hair and dig the scalp so leaving it resting on the head is out of the question. I don’t trust this company as I feel they have used inferior products and shady “independent studies”. Not worth the money. I will be returning it.”
- “I have been using a laser devices from hairmax and iGrow. I upgraded to this 82 as it takes only 90 seconds. After doing it for a month, my hairs were fuller so I know it works if you follow the instructions correctly. Works just as advertised. The price is definitely worth it.”
- “I recommend it to all. I am totally impressed with the product. It is a breeze to use. Just put it on your head and you are on. I expected it to be uncomfy but it ain’t. The shampoo and conditioner too are nice and don’t have much lather, unlike other chemicals. I am happy with my purchase.”
The Final Verdict – Will Hairmax reverse your hair loss?
Though the clinical evidence for hairmax’s lasercombs are stronger than other brands in the market, that doesn’t mean they would work for you. Why?
Firstly, these devices are only for those who are dealing with pattern baldness or those with certain skin tones. If you outside these parameters, the chances of achieving positive results are less.
Secondly, even if you fall within the criteria, pattern hair loss is still a mystery in the medical field. So even if its works for you, chances are it might not work for your neighbor even though he/she is diagnosed with the same balding process.
The only silver lining is the shampoos and conditioners that seem safe to use. While many say that you need to use the entire bundle for optimum results, it is definitely up to the individual’s choice to buy a single product or the entire kit.
That being said, if you have tried everything else in the market, it might be worth to give this one a try. Just bear in mind these two things –
- Other than saving time on hair treatment, there is nothing sensibly different in the high and low-priced models. So you need to figure out if this whole “time savings thing” is really worth your money.
- Hairmax offers a 5-month return policy (money-back guarantee) but you will lose 20% in restocking fees when you request a refund.
Let us know your experience. Did they work? Tell us about it by giving a hairmax review below.